My family is something else! We’re teachers, preachers, civil rights leaders, PR powerhouses, military masters, administrators, secret chefs, lovers of life and most importantly people who love each other and have a LOT to say.
Two years ago I asked some of them to share some Words of Wisdom…and they did! I asked them to submit words they’ve said or been told about life, common sense, faith, love, family, finances, fun, parenting, education, health or any other aspect of life.
Hold on to your hair, this is about to be a wild and crazy words of wisdom ride!
Words from her parents, Willis and Jean Walker (RIP) from Angenetta Scott:
- Daddy, Rev. Willis R. Walker: Don’t call your children ‘kids’ they are not goats.
- Remember you are representing the family
- Do unto other as you have them do unto you.
- I’m fine and dandy like apple candy
- Mother, Jean Johnson Walker: “Always wear clean underwear just in case you have an accident.
- Boys, put on your ‘rain coat’ if you are having sex.
- Don’t leave home with your bed unmade.
From Angenetta Walker Scott:
- Thirty seconds of pleasure can mean a life time of hell.
- Always remember to be a blessing.
- You can’t say Mama didn’t tell you.
- Fiddle Darn Sticks!
- I’m STILL the Mama!
- I can show you better than I can tell you!
From Sylvester Scott:
- Don’t write a check you can’t cash.
- Don’t let the green grass fool you the dew will kill it too.
- You can’t beat that with a hammer.
- You wish you looked as good as I do.
- I love you.
- One monkey don’t stop no show.
From Rodrick Scott:
- Babies get rid of pacifiers in order not to hinder growth and development. If anything is pacifying you, it is time let go and journey towards your full potential of growth. Live and enjoy the experience of life.
From Kristy Scott Lee:
- Chile, all I can do is pray!
- Ain’t nobody finna be worryin’ bout that!
- There’s nothing wrong with a “red cup” party!
- The Lord is up to something. I’m telling you! I can feel it!
From Ozie Cotton (Tee Walker):
- Jesus is my boyfriend!
- Always put God first.
From Zelda Ann Ross:
- No great thing is created suddenly. There must be time, Give your best and always be kind.
- Every loss leads you to a gain and every no takes you that much closer to a yes.
- It’s the squeaky wheel that gets the oil. Be persistent.
- You must endure some rain to fully appreciate the rainbows.
- Your absolute best is all anyone can ask of you.
- Sometime you simply drift in the wind before you start to sail.
- Grief is not a sign of weakness or a lack of faith. It is the price of love.
- Life is fleeting. Enjoy each moment. If you get a chance to sit it out or dance I hope you dance.
- Remember, if you are headed in the wrong direction you are allowed to make a u-turn.
- Enjoy what you can; endure what you must.
- Pick the battles that are big enough to matter and small enough to win.
- Do what you can with what you have, where you are.
- Don’t eat watermelon before the fourth of July nor oysters during a month that doesn’t have a “R” in its name.-Jean Elizabeth Johnson Walker
- The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is simply a little extra
- Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
- Be prepared. It wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark.
- Don’t burn the bridges behind you.
- Your future depends on many things but mostly you.
- All monsters don’t look like monsters.
From Britney Walker:
- You can’t have your way and God’s way at the same time… -Pastor Oliver
- God is not fooled with crisis Christianity…everyone gets holy when all hell breaks loose. -Pastor Wesley
- I’d rather feed my dreams and let my fears starve to death – Rocstead (lyrics from a song)
- You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel. – LeNora Hawkins
- Honey, you can’t try to figure crazy out. – Lacetia Walker
- Date people, not potential – if their potential doesn’t lead to their progress, then you’re just dating an idea.- E.B.II
- Good morning girls, we love you. have a great day at school/work – John and Lacetia Walker (via/ text message)
From Betsey Whatley (RIP), Ken, Lawanna, Melissa and Orlando Walker:
- Don’t be like me. Be better than me. Ken
- Be responsible. Melissa
- I’m praying for you. Melissa
- God knows the truth…He knows. Orlando
- To God be the glory…To thine self always be true. Betsy
- Two wrongs don’t make it right. Betsy
- Every one deserves to be loved and respected. Betsy
- No matter what the situation…you do the right thing. Betsy
- You need to listen…just listen sometimes. Betsy
- Never allow anybody to belittle or lower your self esteem. Betsy
- You can do it…you may have to work harder but you can do it. Betsy
- Just try…you never know unless you try. Betsy
- If you’ve done your best, that’s all that’s expected of you. Betsy
- Always speak softly to your children, listen to them, trust them and make sure they know you love them unconditionally. Betsy
- I don’t need you when everything is well…I need you when I’ve messed up and/or disappointed you. Betsy
- Education is the most important thing you can get. Make them children read…better yet, you read to them! Betsy
- Expose my babies and constantly provide them with experiences. This develops their confidence. Betsy
- You are no better or no worse than him/her…you are blessed with better opportunities. Betsy
- You are responsible for your actions. Betsy
- God makes “NO” mistakes. When you complain you’re telling HIM, HE doesn’t know what HE’s doing. Betsy
- Don’t continue to defend or prove your actions. Explain it once. Either I believe you or I don’t. Betsy
- Keep GOD first in all you do. As for me and my house we will serve the LORD. Lawanna
- GOD will convict you of what HE wants you to stop doing. Lawanna
- Always tell the truth…no matter what tell me the truth. Lawanna
- I’m not you; therefore, I can’t think, speak or react like you. Lawanna
- I’m not you; accept me for who I am and not what you want me to be. Lawanna
- In life you must play the hand you’re dealt. Lawanna
- Don’t worry. Be happy. Find the good in every thing. Is it cloudy or partly sunny? Lawanna
- If you got it flaunt it; if not others will want it. Lawanna
- Remember your manners. Did you say Thank you? Yes/no ma’am/sir. Lawanna
- Help/understand others. Until you walk in their shoes, you don’t know how you would react. Lawanna
From Ricky Ross:
- Be the best you can be.
- Be careful what you ask for; You may have to deal with it.
- Be careful who you consider you friend.
- Don’t be afraid to share.
- Don’t go with Auburn on a bet! (sad)
From Rikki Ross:
- Quit judging folks. The world needs strippers just like we need auto mechanics.- Rikki Ross
- Sleeping with old men or women will give you worms.
From Nishia Ross:
- There are only two ways to live your life, one is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is though everything is a miracle – Albert Einstein
- Every moment is a gift. Spend it on things that matter – learned from movie Flight 93
- Make your life a mission – not an intermission – Unknown
- Everyone faces challenges in life. It’s a matter of how you learn to overcome them and using them to your advantage – Thoughts about my Mom and brother RJ
- At first dreams seems impossible, then improbable, then inevitable – Christopher Reeve
- All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them – Walt Disney
- Don’t be pushed by your problems; be led by your dreams.
- All my children are beautiful – My Mom
- Coffee will make you black! – My Granddaddy
- You are somebody! – My Grandma Jean
From Myia Hatchett
- Always follow your goals and dreams don’t let anybody tell you that you can’t do it because you can do it if you set your mind to it! and “make wise choices” From her Meme Zelda Ross
From Melba Bateman:
- Tell the truth, shame the devil.
From Rakia Craig Hassell:
- Don’t be so ratchet!
From Bennie and Laura Smith:
- Watch out, Boy, if you lie, you will steal. A liar can’t tarry in God’s sight. Ned Smith, Submitted by Bennie Smith, son.
- Be careful about carrying a lazy man’s load.
- Just wait, the Lord moves stumbling Blocks. Violet Smith Submitted by Bennie Smith
- If you don’t follow this advice, you will see this again and wish for what I’m telling you. Maggie Howard Submitted by Donald Wallace
From Ann Turner:
- Praise the Lord, darling!
Now can a get an AMEN?!?!?
2 thoughts on “Can I Get an AMEN?!?!?”
A good AMEN for an AMAZING family!
We truly are AMAZING! Through the ups, downs, ins and outs we all have endured we still have sense enough to find the wisdom and humor in life!