It’s no secret. I have an affinity for food. I appreciate it, and think of it often, not just for consumption, but as an inspiration for many things, some random, others not as much.
One morning while warming my breakfast I started thinking of some things about food. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason regarding my thought process, just thoughts that popped into my head as I watched the microwave spin and listened to it hum. Taking a node from David Allen Grier’s character from In Living Color…Wanna hear it? Here it goes.
- You can tell a lot about a person based on what they pull out of the company refrigerator.
- Oatmeal in January tastes a lot better than oatmeal in July.
- Coffee drinkers speak their own language as they connect with other coffee drinkers while looking over the rim of their favorite cup, with aromatic steam seeping to their nostrils.
- The words “free food” brings out the, shall we say, “interesting” side of people.
- A good bowl of Frosted Flakes or Apple Jacks goes a long, long way.
- Butter, cinnamon, sugar (brown, especially) and “Slap Ya’ Mama” make food “sang”. (Yes, I said “sang”, not “sing”.)
- The hot dogs from Sam’s Club are everything, and don’t dare have them hand you a cool packet of sauerkraut.
- “Purple” and “Red” Kool-Aid are like teleporters…they instantly take you back in time.
- A potluck lunch tells you a lot about a person’s priorities.
- Good food from a truck in the middle of the night is like finding the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks.
- Everybody can’t make Red Velvet Cake. Don’t be fooled, people.
- Candlelight and the right company can make a can of Spam and a cup of Tang taste like a culinary delight.
- Breakfast for dinner should be done at least once a week.
- Cheese, chocolate, Honeycrisp apples, and Berry Punch Minute Maid are gifts from the angels…
- The food I’m most allergic to (shellfish, dairy, etc.) is the food I most enjoy:(
- There is a difference in Sweet Potato Pie and Pumpkin Pie. Okay? Okay.
- Often the ones who don’t look like they eat a lot do. (Trust me. I know.)
- When you’re really, really thirsty there is no substitute for good, cold water, even if you have to use two hands to scoop it to your mouth.
- Everyone deserves a nice, extravagant “I can’t believe I’m eating this kind of food at this fru-fru restaurant” kind of meal from time-to-time.
- Hot sauce and pepper sauce are a must have.
- CAKE!!!!!!!!!! (That’s all I’ll say about that.)