This #TBT of a blog post from 2013 resurfaced after a recent conversation with some 20-year-olds on the importance of being nice, especially when we don’t want to.
Sometimes I don’t want to be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There I said it! But I must be nice. Why?
- Because the Bible tells me so.
- Because my parents told me to.
- Because I’m old enough at this point to know that it’s the right thing to do (especially when I don’t want to, and regardless of how it’s received.)
- Because usually the people who I don’t want to be nice to are the ones who need it most.
- Because I’m bigger than my emotions.
- Because usually there’s a reason (pride, pain, hurt, frustration) behind every person’s personality that makes them the one that I don’t want to be nice to.
- Because usually there’s also a reason (pride, pain, hurt, frustration) behind what’s in me that would make me not want to be nice.
- Because orange is NOT my new black, boo! I can’t afford to spend any time behind any bars…
View original post 151 more words