Friends are like wigs. They come in various forms and fit in various ways for various reasons and with various people. Like a wig, not all friends fit at the same time. That’s cool, as long as you have “that friend” firmly planted in your crown of frienddom for whenever needed.
Today I’d like to shout out the many representations and incarnations of “that friend”.
- Shout out to that friend who wraps up every tough conversation with those famous three words…”I’ll be praying.”
- Shout out to that friend who will let you vent, say the bad words you wouldn’t dare utter, give you some good, sound advice, make you laugh and tell you to “keep it moving” all in 8 minutes or less.
- Shout out to that friend who answers the phone with words like, “What do you need?” or “How can I help you?”
- Shout out to that friend who floods your timeline and text messages with mega-motivation in the area you’re not yet motivated.
- Shout out to that friend who has the best memories, funny (or embarrassing) stories, or wild tales in reserve as a reminder for just when they’re needed.
- Shout out to that friend who will rise at 3am in the morning to hear your heart’s cry or take you to the airport.
- Shout out to that friend who morphs into labels like “Sister” to you or “Auntie” to your children because you all are just that close.
- Shout out to that friend who sees your post on social media and immediately calls os sends an IM or DM asking “What’s wrong?” and “Who do I need to have a talk with?”
- Shout out to that friend who can remind you of your resume of poor choices regarding men, fashion and hairstyles faster than the speed of light then demand you to expect more. Point. Blank. Period.
- Shout out to that friend who can snatch your out-of-place hair together or tuck in a bra strap with the blink of an eye.
- Shout out to that friend who says words like “Girrrlllll!!!!”, or “Whattttt???” but never speaks negatively or throws shade in situations she knows mean much to you.
- Shout out to that friend who always has the right accessory to set your outfit on fire, doesn’t mind that you keep it when you ask to borrow it, and even compliments you when she sees you in it.
- Shout out to that friend who will defend your honor and clear your name before the streets could even take a ball and run with it.
- Shout out to that friend who can pay when you can’t. (And double shout out to the one who knows when you can’t pay even before you have to say it and pays it.)