Singles (and by singles I mean not married, even if you have a boo or a bae, with the same last name you’ve always had, with the same last name you used to have and now have again, filing single on taxes and checking the box which says Miss, Ms. or Divorced )…
Here’s a little secret. You can do it…yourself. While scrolling through my new best friend Pinterest I came across a clever post. Of course I can’t find it now, but it read, “Stop expecting others to do for you what you won’t even do for yourself.”
It’s as simple as that. The time for waiting on life to start is over. Newsflash, life is well on its way to being exactly who its meant to be for you! The mindset of, “I’ll do this when I have someone to do it with” is debilitating. The notion that life alone or in the company of friends, pales in comparison to the married life is a myth. I can tell you a thing or two about both. The thought of “I have no one so I can’t do whatever it is I really want to do” is cuckoo. Pardon my harsh language.
In the words of my daddy when I would pout as a teenager about wanting to do what everyone else was doing, “You were born by yourself. You’re going to die by yourself so stop always talking about what other people are doing.” The same is so in the land of singlehood. We can’t wait on others, compare ourselves with others or complain about others. We simply have to do it. So go ahead and do those things you want to, can afford to, have time, and deserve to do.
- Go to a movie alone or with friends
- Eat at that five-star restaurant
- Plan an amazing trip out of town
- Plan an even more amazing trip out of the country
- Invest in that rental property
- Make financial investments
- Get a massage
- Join a gym and go at it solo if need be
- Start a business
- Write a will (I know that’s grim, but hey, singles have stuff to leave behind too.)
- Buy a house
- Paint your house
- Learn how to garden or repair a car or cook
- Remodel your bathroom…unless you have zero remodeling skills as I do
- Or do like I did and buy those close up concert tickets to see Diddy and the crew… #cantstop #wontstop #badboyforlife
Whatever you do, singles, just make sure to take time to do it for yourself. You deserve it! Of this, I’m sure.