Staying still can be a struggle when it comes to a career. Whether it’s needing a job, desiring a new job, wanting to get the heck out of dodge from your current job or wanting increase from our present job it can be HARD as the dickens to “hold your horses” when it comes to work. Now, I’m certainly not advocating being complacent in searching, but sometimes as we search, prepare, perfect our craft and serve well where we are (complaint-free regardless of what’s going on) we must master the art of simultaneously sitting still…and waiting on God to move at His never-too-late time.
Life is showing me that the more we sit still the more God is setting things up on our behalf. While we’re in a hurry to chuck the deuces and leave He could be hand-crafting:
- the right job
- the perfect parking place
- optimal office space
- premium benefits
- vacation for days
- the freshest morning coffee
- a dress culture which fits our closet
- the smoothest schedule
- the most skilled support
- good ground for our professional growth
- the glossiest business cards
- that long-awaited mentor
- a new boo to meet while strolling down the street
- amazing opportunities for ownership
- the coolest co-workers
- a quicker commute
- a generous salary
- the tastiest free lunches, gas perks, work gear and other “freebies”
- the greatest chances to give back
- a testimony which makes all else make sense
- or everything else His heart desires because He knows what we need, what He needs us to do, and who we need to be around to make it happen or help it happen for on the job.
The moral of the story: We never know what God is working out while we wait.