I need a man!!! Now wait a minute. Before you think I’m talking about what you think I’m talking about hear what I’m really talking about:)
One morning, while getting ready for work at 4:30am I watched local news. Being a former newsie I understand clearly that the “if it bleeds it leads” culture still exists in media, meaning that bad news often beats good news for the top slots. Knowing how media works still doesn’t make it easy to wake up to the site of the mug shots of SO many men who have murdered, robbed, burned (down houses), smoked, shot, sold or stolen. It certainly doesn’t make it easier to see the faces and hear the stories of young men like Michael Brown who have been murdered, or legends like Robin Williams who have taken their own lives.
So I declare, “I Need a Man”! I need a man to understand some things from the perspective of a woman who absolutely adores the creation God made. I need a man… any man, boys-to-men, old men, young men, middle-age men, and every man to know:
- You are loved, valuable, needed, and necessary.
- Not all women think you’re dogs.
- There are people who really do believe in you.
- Your family needs you for more than your paycheck. Your time, influence, wisdom, discipline, authority, presence, participation, assuring hugs, hearty laugh and deep voice mean so much to so many.
- Crime “ain’t” cute and like an expensive hotel, the longer you stay in it the more you have to pay to get out.
- There is so much more to you for the world than your career, cars, wallets, watches, sneakers, athletic abilities, love life or libido.
- Your words matter and we really do want to hear what you have to say (especially when you think no one cares or understand.)
- There are some other GOOD men who are good for you to be around.
- A friend, homeboy, partner, ace, bro, buddy and so on are not your friend, homeboy, partner, ace, bro, buddy and so on if they support foolishness and encourage tomfoolery.
- You have the right to start over again from any place of pain.
- You deserve the beauty of joy and to sleep peacefully at night.
- It’s okay to be hurt and to get help to deal with that hurt properly.
- A strong man isn’t afraid to be honest, transparent, vulnerable and taught.
- The world might have given up on you but there are so many who have not.
- There is no embarrassment attached to improvement.
- You are a leader, born of leaders, meant to breed other leaders.
- It’s okay to forgive yourself.
- Education is attractive, and while college may not be for everyone learning can be.
- A man who smiles and a man who is sensitive is sexy.
- You can be whomever God created you to be even if you didn’t have all the people or things you thought you needed in order to be it.
- You are loved, valuable, needed, and necessary. (I said it twice so it can soak in.)